Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Almondvale Parking charges

And if Asdas charges are anywhere similar to LS and MG then there will br no excuse what so ever for the council not to investigate cartel/ monolopy arrangements.

And where do we want this to end, every shop charging for parking, the local coop, spar, the corner store?
    It is only a tax by stealth on the poor, those who can less aford to pay paying more as a precentage of their income to do the basics of life, buy food for their family.
    Dont give me any nonsence about disabled spaces being free, having a disablity is no indication on ability to pay, will we have similar spaces for low income people, think not, so all we will do is allow conspicolus consumerism in buying food.
    You can imagine Asdas new advertising campaign, shop with us if your rich enough to park your car, minimal wage shoppers need not apply..

Quote Originally Posted by livibudgie View Post
    And where do we want this to end, every shop charging for parking, the local coop, spar, the corner store?
    It is only a tax by stealth on the poor, those who can less aford to pay paying more as a precentage of their income to do the basics of life, buy food for their family.
    Dont give me any nonsence about disabled spaces being free, having a disablity is no indication on ability to pay, will we have similar spaces for low income people, think not, so all we will do is allow conspicolus consumerism in buying food.
    You can imagine Asdas new advertising campaign, shop with us if your rich enough to park your car, minimal wage shoppers need not apply..
    Next you'll be telling us football clubs shouldn't charge for entry or carparking?

At the moment Asda are paying the price for jolly old Land Securities imposing charges elsewhere. People are parking in the Asda car park to use the main centre (so long as they return within the two hour deadline).

Probably what they'll do is the same as for other supermarkets that share parking; refund the ticket if you spend 10+ in their store. Its unfortunate and we'd never be facing this situation if it wasn't for Land Securities greed.

Quote Originally Posted by The devil View Post
    Next you'll be telling us football clubs shouldn't charge for entry or carparking?
    Funds raised go to benefit the club in balancing the books not into the deep pockets if some London fat-cats who in turn offer nothing of benefit to the area.

Funnily enough Land Securities argument was that the reason they introduced car park charges wasn't to make a profit but to discourage the shop workers from parking there - aye right!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    At the moment Asda are paying the price for jolly old Land Securities imposing charges elsewhere. People are parking in the Asda car park to use the main centre (so long as they return within the two hour deadline).

Probably what they'll do is the same as for other supermarkets that share parking; refund the ticket if you spend 10+ in their store. Its unfortunate and we'd never be facing this situation if it wasn't for Land Securities greed.
    Best hope the council don't start charging for their carparks.

Funds raised go to benefit the club in balancing the books not into the deep pockets if some London fat-cats who in turn offer nothing of benefit to the area.

Funnily enough Land Securities argument was that the reason they introduced car park charges wasn't to make a profit but to discourage the shop workers from parking there - aye right!
    So a football club can make a profit for it's shareholders but a landlord can't?
    I don't think the spaces reserved for staff are ever fully utilised so it must have worked.

So a football club can make a profit for it's shareholders but a landlord can't?
    I don't think the spaces reserved for staff are ever fully utilised so it must have worked.
    Its strange that pretty much every other non inner city shopping centre can get by without charging the patrons for the right to visit the shopping centre; everyone that it apart form those operated by Land Securities it would seem.

Why don't they go the whole hog and charge for entrance to the centre; that will cheer the tenants even more.

A football club offers a service to the visitors; Land securities does not.

Best hope the council don't start charging for their carparks.
    Is there any chance that you could come up with an adult argument justifying the imposing of parking charges any time soon?

Best start moaning to Asda as it is pay and display from next month.
    I think you are barking up the wrong tree with complaints of fair trading practise.
    Well guess who will be shopping in Sainsbury, Morrison, Aldi and Lidl. Shame really, I bought a lot from Asda in the past.

I bet there are a lot of people who used the Asda car park to go to another shop in the Centre for something but who popped into Asda while they were up and spent money there too. I know I did. Moreover there are always plenty of spaces when I shop so I can't see where they were missing out.

Can't be many other towns where you have to pay a minimum of 50p to go to the post office or the bank if you dare to take the car.

Still proud to have never paid a penny to Land Securities for car parking.

Its strange that pretty much every other non inner city shopping centre can get by without charging the patrons for the right to visit the shopping centre; everyone that it apart form those operated by Land Securities it would seem.

Why don't they go the whole hog and charge for entrance to the centre; that will cheer the tenants even more.

A football club offers a service to the visitors; Land securities does not.
    West Lothian Council charge for parking in Bathgate, no facilities, no roof to protect from inclement weather, no customer service agents to look after you, miles to walk with your purchases, etc.
    I'd say they do provide a service in Livingston? They also have an open door if you want to speak to them.

Quote Originally Posted by orco View Post
    Well guess who will be shopping in Sainsbury, Morrison, Aldi and Lidl. Shame really, I bought a lot from Asda in the past.

I bet there are a lot of people who used the Asda car park to go to another shop in the Centre for something but who popped into Asda while they were up and spent money there too. I know I did. Moreover there are always plenty of spaces when I shop so I can't see where they were missing out.

Can't be many other towns where you have to pay a minimum of 50p to go to the post office or the bank if you dare to take the car.

Still proud to have never paid a penny to Land Securities for car parking.
    Linlithgow, Bathgate and Falkirk all have charges?

Is there any chance that you could come up with an adult argument justifying the imposing of parking charges any time soon?
    Hey, I'm not justifying them, merely the right of any company to make decisions that get a return on it's investment.

Funnily enough I have managed to shop in all three without having to pay parking charges.

Funnily enough I have managed to shop in all three without having to pay parking charges.
    In the same way that you can park in Livi without paying, if you don't mind a wee walk.

In the same way that you can park in Livi without paying, if you don't mind a long walk.
    Fixed.

Fixed.
    You can park for free in the council carpark at the Bank of Scotland?
    Or at the old council building that was demolished (just through the tunnel) .

Bathgate and Falkirk also have plenty of alternative free parking; don't know of a proper shopping centre in Linlithgow. However all three sites have a mainline rail station which is back to my earlier point.

Bathgate and Falkirk also have plenty of alternative free parking; don't know of a proper shopping centre in Linlithgow. However all three sites have a mainline rail station which is back to my earlier point.Which is that you should pay for convenience and facilities
    Fixed it for ya!

Bathgate and Falkirk also have plenty of alternative free parking; don't know of a proper shopping centre in Linlithgow. However all three sites have a mainline rail station which is back to my earlier point.
    Where's the free parking in Bathgate that's near the shops?

Hey, I'm not justifying them, merely the right of any company to make decisions that get a return on it's investment.
    What investment did they make on parking? Particularly bearing in mind that it was free for years until the elements came into view.

Its not a point about getting a return on investment though is it; I doubt whether this really generates a realistic income when compared with the cost of advertising on television etc. to try and counter the bad publicity. The worst thing is surely that they charge a premium rent form the tenants and then go out of their way to discourage people from visiting (but they can always fudge the figures to make it appear otherwise). Certainly stores like Pagazzi (the lighting people) is even more empty than when they were located down near Toys R Us.

One of the guys I work with actually got a parking ticket for parking On the line (because the car parked next to him was well over the line and indeed the yellow jacket booked the whole row. It took him a length of time to get the ticket revoked (by going to the top authority for parking (ombudsman) in Scotland but is of the view that he will never go shopping in the centre again - I wonder how many others were put off by that stunt?

Its not Land Securities thought that will feel the cost is it; the shopkeepers are the one who will bear the brunt.

On the street parking; the car park near the old DIY place; street parking going up the hill; the old cinema car park?

Large area round the back of Boots and the big space near Argos/Lidl were free last time I was there.

Fixed it for ya!
    So you don't have an answer then apparently. I would have been interested to know if you'd got any reasonable justification for Land Securities actions but it really doesn't seem that you have. I'm not deliberately trying to be offensive but one liners and glib statements doesn't make a valid argument; it doesn't even pass for wit.

What investment did they make on parking? Particularly bearing in mind that it was free for years until the elements came into view.

Its not a point about getting a return on investment though is it; I doubt whether this really generates a realistic income when compared with the cost of advertising on television etc. to try and counter the bad publicity. The worst thing is surely that they charge a premium rent form the tenants and then go out of their way to discourage people from visiting (but they can always fudge the figures to make it appear otherwise). Certainly stores like Pagazzi (the lighting people) is even more empty than when they were located down near Toys R Us.

One of the guys I work with actually got a parking ticket for parking On the line (because the car parked next to him was well over the line and indeed the yellow jacket booked the whole row. It took him a length of time to get the ticket revoked (by going to the top authority for parking (ombudsman) in Scotland but is of the view that he will never go shopping in the centre again - I wonder how many others were put off by that stunt?

Its not Land Securities thought that will feel the cost is it; the shopkeepers are the one who will bear the brunt.
    They value their investment at over 200 million. Interestingly the centre generates 5 times as much rent as McArthur Glen (ls own 50% of that) McArthur Glen was always a White Elephant. (Should never have been given planning permission, but that's another argument).
    The council dole out tickets like confetti in their "free" carpark at HBOS.
    There are certainly problems in the centre but to blame it all at the door of parking charges is somewhat shortsighted.